Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Anthropologie Hat-- The Tutorial

Here are the super quick easy instructions in order to make a knock off Yestadt Millenery for Anthropologie hat.
IMG_1020proof
I have had a few people ask where I got the shrug and it was one of those walk past the store window and grind to a halt, run in and by it in all 3 colors. It was at an Urban Outfitters in Tysons Corner, Washington DC. I could see if I could copy it out to a tutorial though, it shouldn't be all that difficult... I hope ha!
What you will need:
A rectangle of felt (if you have high quality felt that is awesome!)
Extra wide ribbon (Grossgrain is used in the Anthro hat)
Ribbon (Crushed velvet ribbon was used in the original hat)
Buttons
A large plum feather such as Ostrich if it is available but I used some plucked from my feather duster :)
A 20 inch length of Bias tape, or cording or extra wide ribbon.
Needle and thread
The rectangle I used was 20 inches long and I cut it on the fold (so 10 on each side).
IMG_1035



Take your bias tape and slide on of the long raw ends into it. Then Sew all the way down the edge
IMG_1036
You could also use decorative cording, or fold an extra wide piece of ribbon in half and slide the felt in between the fold. Now fold your felt in half, right sides together. Sew up the unfolded side, rounding the corners and making a slight "sag" in the middle. Sew all the way around to the other side, again rounding the corner.
IMG_1040
Turn your hat inside out. Now we can start embellishing woo hoo! If you have a cool feather in your stock or at a store this is the time to use it! I pulled 4 feathers out of a duster. If you have a glue gun you can TOTALLY use it now (and I am jealous if you have one, I am all out of glue sticks for the gun.. bummah!) but if you are up a creek like me sewing works just fine :)
IMG_1050
Cut 3 strips of your extra wide ribbon that descend in length.
IMG_1053
Fold them in half and stack them on top of each other on top of the feathers you just attached. I twisted them so they were at a bit of an angle after I took this pic. I thought it looked a little better that way. Again, glue gun= TOTALLY awesome, hand stitch= awesome :)
IMG_1059
Take your second bit of ribbon (I LOVE how the crushed velvet looks and tried sooo hard to find some, no such luck so olive green had to do) and tie a simple bow. I am super awful at bow tying, I know, I will be fired as a mother when Evie turns 3 and the bows in her hair are super sloppy looking and always come undone. Once you have tied the bow that will undoubtedly look better then mine :) Attach it where you like, towards the back of the 3 extra wide ribbons. I sewed both in the middle of the knot and attached the tails where I wanted them, using them to hide the raw edges of the pink ribbon.
IMG_1072
Last but not least the buttons! Now here is the super cool back story about these particular buttons. A few days ago I received a package from England!!

I was sooo insanely excited. I CAREFULLY unwrapped it and was thrilled to find the cutest Peter Rabbit coin purse containing the most gorgeous collection of buttons EVER. Laura (the lovely sender of the package) included a note letting me know that they were from her beau's, mother's vintage collection. OMG!!! I started thinking about the very special projects I would save them for and thought for sure this eclectic hat deserved a button all the way from Great Britain. It was hard but I narrowed it down to these beauties. I thought the blue would pop but still "go" with the other colors.
IMG_1075
I attached them just above the little bow I just tied and it all seemed to come together. Who knew all it would need is some vintage buttons from hundreds of thousands of miles away? HA!
IMG_1029
I have to tell you something hilarious. Here in Timor it is HOT and HUMID I mean SERIOUSLY hot and humid. I spend a ton of time in the pool, or playing with the kiddos outside and feeling like I am swimming in a pool of my own sweat (ew, sorry for that). Because of this, and the fact that you cannot buy make-up on the island, I rarely wear it. The morning we did pictures of the hat I thought "hmmmm I should probably put some mascara on" I dug it out from the depths of darkness that is the cupboard beneath my sink, broke the cardinal rule of not shoving the wand in and out and in and out and went to swipe some on my eye. The HUGEST glob of mascara plopped right in my eye. It hurt soooo stinkin' bad. When I looked in the mirror my eye was completely black, no iris visible. It has never bothered me to touch my eyes so I started poking it with tissue and MAN did it burn. What is ironic is after my eyes water, or I cry, or have been in chlorine too long the redness of my eyes make them also look very blue. So apparently if I want MY eyes to pop in photos I just need to irritate them super bad.

IMG_1009proof
(see the uber redness? yeah, ouch)

I guess what I am saying is if you decide to make and sport this hat I am sure it will be to a fabulous event requiring mascara and just beware of the blob! :)

15 comments:

  1. Well, I love it! But I´m not quit sure if I have courage to were something like this.

    On the other hand, this jacket of yours is totally my thing! Did you made it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO CUTE!!! I love the colors you chose. That green ribbon just sets it off! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahahahhaha - love the mascara story! I always love it when someone shares some craziness in their life - lol. Great hat, thanks for the tute :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oghh! That made my eyes water and my nose run just reading about it! (And I'm in England too. So that's a reach on sympathy. :D)

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are adorable! just flat out gorgeous! love the shrug and the sweet little hat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. well, the hat is cute and really simple! (when i first saw it I expected it will be a lot more complicated!).
    Your eyes are very beautiful but I don't recomend that way to enlight them! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. AH! Gorgeous, as always! :) Thank you for the tutorial, I'm totally going to make one!! Sorry about your eyeball....the prices we pay for beauty - huh? Thank you again Kelly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the hat! (And the shrug) I may whip one up and then come up with a place to wear it. Thanx for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is awesome! I wish I could pull it off like you :).

    I'm hosting a knock off contest called the Copycat Challenge, and would love you to enter -- the prizes are fabulous! You can go here for details:

    http://sewmuchado-reviews.blogspot.com/2010/10/copycat-challenge-details.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whoa... that's gorgeous and it looks amazing on you! What a wonderful project. I'll be linking.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have a really nice blog! I came across it this week while reading another blog and I'm so glad I clicked on the link to it and kept reading. I was SO happy to get to this post and see that beautiful shrug! I had been looking all over for that exact one and I was really happy to see it here! Please do the tutorial, I would really like that! I'm subscribing to your blog so I don't miss the tutorial, if you decide to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an amazing hat! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous hat, I would love to see a tutorial on the bolero. I adore it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this. I saw it at Anthropologie but unfortunately did not have the money to buy it. Lucky for me there are people like you who have the talent of simple construction and also the generosity to share that talent. I bought all the materials and will be making the hat now for myself and my twin sister. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...